Monday, August 1, 2016


Emafini Primary School
August 1, 2016
Today my goal was to teach an inferencing activity with the book The Name Jar by Yangsook Choi in small groups. “It’s a new country, a new town and a new school for Unhei”  just as it is for this American teacher. The main character, Unhei has just arrived from Korea with her family.  She is anxious about making friends and worries that no one will be able to pronounce her name. As the learners gather around anxiously at the make shift table I understand Unhei’s fear as I introduce myself and attempt to pronounce their names as they strategically pronounce them for me.  Rather than introduce herself on the first day Unhei decides to pick a new name. The problem she faces is that she doesn’t know what name to choose.

I decide it will be beneficial to introduce the book in the form of a picture walk.  As I turn each page the students’ eyes appear to dance upon the pages as they take in the vivid illustrations.  I explain that when you infer you come up with your own story based on the pictures and that every learner’s story will be somewhat different.  Modeling the first page as Unhei peers out a window I begin to give detailed and varied examples that the learners can relate to. Next, I ask for their ideas.  As I have come to understand the Xhosa culture more with each passing day it is not unusual that the students just gaze back at me with no response.  Children respect their elders and rarely speak as it is not the norm.  After much coaxing and assuring them that I want to know what they are thinking a few girls express what they think Unhei is doing peering out the window. I began to read the words as the students parroted the words with each turn of the page. At the beginning of the lesson I gave a brief description of the book asking the children if they found themselves in another country like Unhei would they keep their given name or change it.  I didn’t want a quick answer, I wanted them to ponder their decision.
 
As I read the last page I could sense each child had their answer to my question. As they reluctantly shared it was unanimous that they too would keep their given name.  “I like who I am and my grandmother gave me my name,” muttered Khanya.  Me too, agreed Anganathi Nombayeka.  My name means God knowing and my mother gave it to me. “This is who we are agreed Sinomtha. I could change my name to Amanda but that wouldn’t change who I am.”
I explained that our literacy activity would be to create a visual representation of their name. They could also include its meaning, symbols or words that defined them.  With much excitement they began to create their names on the brightly chosen paper with vivid colored pencils. It was at the very best a surreal moment as they began their journey to self-expression of who they are based on someone else’s vision of who they would become.


  Next, Mrs. Khosi invited our group to watch the 5th, 6th, and 7th grade choir. As the words bean to seamlessly flow from the mouths it was a sound so indescribable that words cannot define it.  These children sang with confidence and harmony. It reminded me of many of the spirituals I heard as a child growing up in the South. The rhythm penetrated every fiber of their being effortlessly. I was briefly transformed and felt at home in the Xhosa culture surrounding by the warmth and acceptance that is humanity.



No comments:

Post a Comment